Cooking...for real.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Since I have been living basically on my own since graduation I for some reason got the idea in my head that "well it's cheaper to go through a drive-thru than to cook for one person". I'm sure some of you have had that thought as well. Especially a few months ago when I would work from 9-5 then drive 30 minutes to be in rehearsal (hopefully) before the actors arrived. I had rehearsal until 10:00 most nights so my choices were either grab something in the window of time between 5:30 and 6:00 or wait until 10:00 to run by Taco Bell, the latter being an option I chose too many times, just ask my hips!

If you look at my Menu page after I calculated everything it ended up being really cheap to cook than to go out. I know that seems like such a "duh!" statement but I never really put calculations in it, it's so much easier to spend $3 here and $4 there than to go to the store and spend $30. I think that was a bad habit I had. I would go out here and there thinking it wasn't so bad and getting out of the store with just the basics for breakfasts and lunches for about $25 didn't seem too bad. Adding it all up if I were to spend $25/week on basics and then spend money on going out I was definitely wasting a lot. I know for most of you this may be something you've learned on your own and already know but I'm sure some of you were like me and thought you were saving money by going out.

Typically when I ran through the drive through I would get a kid's meal with either chicken nuggets or tenders and fries and the meal cost $4-ish. After cooking our own and calculating it ended up costing only $1.80! How crazy is that!

Well I'm sure I rambled a lot because it's past my bedtime, my body doesn't seem to know it doesn't have to go to work utnil 11 tomorrow. I will come back and edit this later.
G'nite!

0 comments:

Post a Comment