Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes....(and lessons learned)

Saturday, June 30, 2012
    I love David Bowie....I wanted to be Jareth from Labyrinth for Halloween in 3rd grade. Mom said no, I think I was a telephone instead. Kind of like the time I went to the pet store to buy a bearded dragon and somehow mom convinced me bringing home a bunny was a better idea. Apparently my mom doesn't like glam rockers or scaly reptiles.



   I officially have 4 more days at my current job, lots of emotions involved in that. Nerves, anxiety, and excitement to name a few. I also struggle with a little bit of guilt because they haven't hired anyone to replace me yet and my boss has been so great that I hate to feel like I'm leaving her in a lurch.

   I got a call about this great opportunity nearly 2 months ago. I was nervous about my job situation, thinking my position was going to be eliminated so when this came up it was great timing. I applied, interviewed and was hired! Starting on July 9th I will be the new Box Office Manager. Pretty snazzy! Being paid to work in a theatre? I thought I'd have better luck hunting a Sasquatch.

   One of the best parts? The benefits are awesome and the pay is quite a bit more than what I'm making now. Who could really say no to 4 weeks of vacation/year and a pay increase? Also we're closed on holidays. It is salaried so some weeks I'll probably end up working more than 40 hours, especially during festivals and big shows but I'm cool with that.

  So what have I learned from my past two years working at my job? I thought I should share some life lessons with you all.


 Bingo is a contact sport. 

You mean you didn't know this? Yeah I didn't either. Taking another players bingo seat is akin to taking the old Baptist lady's pew. You just don't want to go there.

Most verbal filters are gone. 

My first day I was asked (in a very southern voice) 
"Honey, are you PG?" 
"Excuse me?"
"Are you pregnant?"
Granted, this lady was a nurse during WWII and was definitely a Nosy Nancy but this was not a great first impression. Of course the next day she had forgotten about it but I was still a little cranky. Since then I've heard just about everything people think in their heads but never have the gall to say. I guess once you reach a certain age it doesn't matter anymore! So pretty much they're like Sophia from Golden Girls.
You learn to how to REALLY search for things


*ring ring*
"Good morning this is Sunny how can I help you?"
"We can't find mom's teeth"
"I'll be right down"
They were in her shoe, wrapped in a napkin, under the bed.


Now for the mushy stuff

Somewhere between serving snacks, taking them grocery shopping, and hunting for teeth and hearing aids you really grow to love these people. Even those with a seemingly gruff exterior just want to be loved and treated like a human being. I am really going to miss them.





0 comments:

Post a Comment