Getting on Track

Thursday, June 28, 2012
  Last month we signed up for an account with MyTotalMoneyMakeover.com. I've been playing around with the budgeting tools this week. We've been setting up specific budgets for some things but for others we kind of just "guesstimate" so we don't know exactly where every dollar is going.

We're still in the "Hey we're newlyweds! We have 2 incomes! Let's buy new lights for our bicycles!" stage of our lives. We haven't really made any stupid purchases but we have bought some things that we don't need.

While plugging in our stuff on the budget we ended up with some leftovers. When I clicked that I was finished it said "Wait! You don't have a zero-based budget!". The Total Money Makeover says that you should have a zero-based budget each month, so that you know where each dollar is spent. To be quite honest...I kind of don't want to know!

 I've always been intimidated by money and let it control me instead of me controlling it. There have been a few times where I've been like "hmm I haven't checked my balance for awhile, I should probably do that" then log on, make sure I'm not broke and log out quickly (side note: Hey mom! I know this is irresponsible, sorry about that!). 


I think this is because if I know where I'm spending all of my money I'm accountable to it, and I'm not good at that! 


So tonight I'm going to suck it up and import our bank transactions file and match it up with our budget from June and see where we stand. After all, you can't make an accurate budget if you don't know what you're already used to spending.



0 comments:

Post a Comment