Just say no!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012
 Familiar with that phrase? What your school didn't offer the D.A.R.E program? Oh, well that was an awkward exchange then wasn't it?

 Adapting to a new work environment can be tricky. Learning how people operate and not violating whatever norms are already established is not the easiest thing for me to do. I'm a smidge of a people pleaser. That being said one of the most difficult interactions at work this week has been "Hey, want to go to lunch?". I really don't want to be the weirdo that says "No thanks I brought my lunch".

 At my previous job everyone ate together at a specified time, for 30 minutes. We all knew the drill, end of story. Dude, why does this embarrass me?

 How do you avoid lunchtime peer pressure?

 
 

5 comments:

  1. Eliothie said...:

    Be the weirdo! As Dave Ramsey says.... "Live like noone else, so you can live like noone else"..... and yeah.... I know that's hard.... but actually, tell him you pack your lunches so you can save money but you'd be happy to join him if it's somewhere you can eat your food as well :)

  1. Tenntrace said...:

    I'm usually "antisocial" at lunch. First, I work with all men, so just eating out with one is out of the question. I do have a group of friends who try to get together once a month to eat out. Second, depending on work issues, I don't always get lunch at lunch time. Third, sometimes I just need an hour of alone time. And if I want to eat with someone, we have so many people in my building who eat in, that I can go to our lounge and hang out with them. You have such a pretty campus, it seems a shame not to find a pretty place to eat. If it doesn't weird you out, and the place your friends go to is okay with it, just take your lunch to eat with them wherever they are.

  1. Sunny said...:

    Once it cools off/stops raining I plan to find a nice lunch spot on campus :)

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Maybe offer to accompany a friend to pick up some lunch and the both of you go enjoy the park or a nice spot on campus? Might be a nice deflection.

  1. Tenntrace said...:

    I always enjoy sitting in the Silver Spoon Cafe while I'm waiting for Amelia to get out of choir practice during the school year. Nice staff, they don't care if I tie up a table even if I don't order anything, and they have great unsweetened orange tea (my splurge). Not sure how busy they would be during lunch though.

Post a Comment