Inedible Kitchen Experiments

Friday, July 6, 2012
  So this time I wasn't experimenting with a new food recipe, though I did try a recipe for skillet chicken parmesan last week and...eh. It was mediocre at best.

  This week I made this:

Can you guess what it is? DIY fabric softener! I saw my cousin Chris post it on Facebook and after looking into it a little further I decided to try it out. It was really easy to make and seems to be working as well as regular fabric softener. I found my recipe here: http://beautifulsmhw.blogspot.com/2012/04/frugal-and-simple-laundry-week-homemade_17.html


Homemade Fabric Softener





Here is what you will need...



-2 Cups of cheap Hair Conditioner 
-3 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar
-6 Cups of Hot Water



Step 1: Mix Conditioner and hot water together until conditioner is dissolved.



Step 2: Add vinegar to conditioner and water. Mix.



Step 3: Store in a container of your choice (you can reuse an old fabric softener bottle). Use your homemade fabric softener exactly like you would the store bought version! 


The only thing I've noticed is when I lean in to get the laundry out the little spot where you put the softener smells like vinegar, but the clothes themselves do not. 

Cost Breakdown:
    Bottle of Suave Eternal Sunshine conditioner: $1.47
    Vinegar: $1.00
    Water: Free from your tap
    Total: $2.47! 

This work out to about $.08/load of laundry. Pretty sweet deal. Definitely cheaper than the Gain softener I typically use. For more scent some people suggest adding a product like Downy Unstoppables or the Purex Crystals or even essential oils. 

The next thing I want to attempt is making laundry detergent. All of the recipes I've found require Borax and Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. Anyone know where I could get those? 




5 comments:

  1. Tenntrace said...:

    Walmart and Kroger both carry those. I use borax as a laundry booster/stain remover/odour remover. I have a front load washer and only use 1/2 the recommended amount of detergent and/or fabric softener, so I save money on water, soap and softener already, but sometimes our clothes need extra help. I also cold water wash everything except the heavily soiled laundry (and sheets - they are washed in hot). I've heard you can use pure vinegar as a softener. I also don't use fabric softener in my towels so they soak up water better.
    You can also use borax to make really neat Christmas ornaments using a supersaturated solution of borax and water, and suspend a shaped pipe cleaner ornament in it for a couple of days. The crystals stick to the pipe cleaner and when it dries out it's all sparkly.
    I buy detergent every 3 months or so, fabric softener less often, and until June there were 4 of us, now 3.

  1. Not sure about where you are, but I found both at Walmart near the stain and pre treatments. I have made both and we have found that since Ethan works a labor intensive job and his clothes are considerably grimier I have to use a bit more laundry soap than I normally would, plus I have had borax left over so I ad a bit of that, but all in all it has still been worth it. It bought all of the supplies for right at $6 I think and it made 3 "batches" and well I haven't bought laundry soap since Christmas! That's a savings I suppose!

  1. Sunny said...:

    How have I never seen these things? I remember using borax to make gak in 4th grade but otherwise I've never heard of it. Maybe if I opened my eyes it would help!

    Good tip on the Christmas ornaments :) that sounds like a fun project.

    I'm not sure how often we buy laundry stuff, I buy the massive bottles of Gain and it lasts 4 or 5 months.

  1. Sunny said...:

    Do you make the liquid or powder laundry detergent? How do you store it?
    Now I'm really wanting to get all this stuff when we go grocery shopping today but I know I need to use up our store bought stuff first :( or I could tuck it in a closet in case we ever run out hehe!

  1. I make the liquid and I keep it in a 5 gal bucket. Then I funnel it into an old detergent bottle to keep above the washer for easier use. I totally understand, I had this plan for a while before we "used up" the store bought detergent. I had to wait it out. Ha ha It was worth it thought!

Post a Comment