Drink your fruits and vegetables...wait what?

Saturday, January 19, 2013
     Yesterday was a snow day, whoot! We decided to be productive, that lasted all of maybe 3 hours. Then we got sucked in by a couple of documentaries.

      Remember how I mentioned I wanted to eat more vegetables? Also how I mentioned I absolutely hate vegetables? Yesterday we decided we needed a juicer. Typically we don't follow through on our whims but this time we headed to Wal-Mart and picked up this juice extractor. We had a $30 gift card that Phillip had from Christmas so in theory it was only $20, at least that's what I'm telling myself.  We also loaded up on some fruits and veggies.

     Sometimes we don't like to read directions, we just throw ourselves full steam ahead and see what happens. That's probably not the best thing to do with making up juice recipes. Phillip's first attempt tasted an awful lot like grass. If you held your nose it wasn't too bad. He used broccoli, strawberries, and apple. Mine was a little better. I tried spinach, strawberries, celery, and apple.

    Last night after rehearsal we made one with celery, spinach, blood orange, and apples. It was kind of gross so we added some pineapple, that perked it up some.

   The one I made this morning is really yummy. 2 handfuls of baby carrots, 2 handfuls of spinach, an apple, 2 strawberries. I don't even have to hold my nose to drink it!

    We're using a lot of fruit right now, mostly to mask the taste of those detestable vegetables. Once we get used to it we're going to try to flip that so that it's mostly veggies with a little fruit thrown in for sweetness. Did you know that it gets frothy? That kind of grosses me out a little bit.

  One thing I've learned is that if I just hold my nose I can deal with it. It made me instantly think of my grandma, apparently when I was little and had to take medicine I thought you had to be "held down" so when it was time I'd say "hold me down grandma! Hold me down!" so she would plug my nose while I took the icky stuff.

   Have any good recipes or tips? I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. I have so wanted to try juicing! Do you guys have a good place to get fruit and veggies from, that's the one thing that kind of scared me is the price, you can jam pack so much in one glass of juice that it seems like it can start to add up!

  1. Sunny said...:

    Aldi, Save-a-lot, and the Grocery Outlet have good prices but sometimes their fruit is pretty iffy. Veggies are usually fine. We aren't doing like a "juice cleanse" or anything crazy, just using it to get some extra vitamins. The documentary we watched where they did only juice + water said that costs ~$14/day. But that's drinking tons of it. I'll add up what we spend over the next week on produce and let you know what the damage was :)

Post a Comment