Kindness Begets Kindness, A New Kind of Challenge.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013
     Our pastor mentioned something in the Sunday evening service that really hit the nail on the head for me. I don't remember exactly what he said but he brought up how anger is so out of control in our culture right now.

     Some of you know that I struggle with anxiety and panic attacks. I've noticed a pattern recently, if I pay too much attention to the news my anxiety is intensified. Every time I hear of another shooting or attempted shooting it makes me want to crawl inside my safe little apartment and never leave. One quote that circulated after the Sandy Hook shooting started to help me see things differently.
 “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world.” — Mister Rogers


   I'm  realizing (though it's been a struggle) that I have no control over what happens around me, so there is no point in worrying about it. However, I do have control over how I impact others. I've decided to challenge myself to do 30 random acts of kindness in 30 days. I may not blog about all of them, that would probably get boring for you guys. I'm going to try my best to get them done in 30 days but since I'm typically going straight from work to rehearsals I don't run into many random people! If it takes a little longer that's okay, I hope to keep doing it even after the 30 days are over. I think it's important to step outside of ourselves and serve others. 

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13:34-35

   

0 comments:

Post a Comment