Thrifty Weekend

Sunday, July 14, 2013
 We did more this weekend than we have in a long time. We're pretty much homebodies and are totally okay with that.

 A friend of mine got a new puppy last week, on Friday she gave me a call and we took her doggies to the dog park downtown. Afterwards we walked them up to Market Square, I've lived in this area for 5 years and this is the first time I've been downtown on a weekend evening. See, I'm definitely a homebody.  I learned a lesson, if you want to attract lots of stares take a beautiful and well behaved Malamute into a public place. He loved the attention and it was adorable. Cost of the trip: Rita's Italian Ice - $5.

 Saturday was a big day. I didn't post it but these came in the mail a few weeks ago:

  It was pretty fun, we scrambled around the week before trying to find things to have appraised. We settled on some of my jewelry pieces from my grandparents and a Stein from the now defunct Falstaff Brewery.
These are La Rel costume jewelry pieces from the 50's that belonged to my grandma Louettie.

This is a resin stein from the brewery where my grandpa Elmer worked.

 So are we going to be millionaires and pay off all of our student loans tomorrow? Not likely! The jewelry appraised for about $50, I took my grandma Kathryn's pearl ring from the '30s and it appraised for a little more. They looked at the stein and were like "umm we don't know what this is, so $20?" The tickets for the even were free and so was the parking. Only thing we spent was our time. 

 We also ran into our only family members who live in the area, they were in line a bit ahead of us. After we had our stuff appraised we all went to McKay to forage through stacks of books. This was my first time there as well. It was overwhelming! We're going on vacation soon and I was looking for some cheap "fluff" books to read. We brought home 10 books and only paid $5.68. Now that is an awesome deal! 

 Saturday evening some friends from church came over to play cards, Phillip lost for the first time ever. He's still grousing over it a little bit. Cost: Free! 

  We had a lot of fun and are totally tuckered out. I'd call that a successful weekend. :)

 What did you do this weekend? What are your favorite "budget friendly" weekend activities?



0 comments:

Post a Comment