Cars go 'Vroom'. Unless they're mine...

Thursday, November 21, 2013
  My car goes "squeak, squeak, knock, knock, knock." I'm no mechanic but I'm pretty sure that's not how they're supposed to sound.

 Phillip didn't think so either. Last week my Nissan took a trip to the mechanic, we were thinking "we know it needs new struts, that's probably all it is."


 Turns out if you have a car in Michigan and don't wash the salt solution off of it, the bottom has a tendency to just kind of rust out. Yes, my car needs new struts but he mentioned something about just 2 metal bars holding the engine up and having to go to an auto body shop and pay $3,000 to fix it.



 I only paid $1,300 for this car to begin with. I'm not going to pay $3,000 to fix it. 

 We spent the weekend going to various car dealerships and were sneered at from pretty much everyone. Why? Because we would tell them the budget we're working with. Apparently if you're not financing a newer car or buying something really expensive they really don't care to help you. Instead they like to say "Well, you're not going to find anything for that price, but come look at this car that's only $3,000 more than you want to spend. You can get really low payments."  What? Are you even listening?

  

 So now I think we're going the private seller route, I'm scouring Craigslist, Carsoup, and Autotrader in hopes of finding something that will last us a few years until our student loans are paid off. 

 Being an adult is not all it's cracked up to be. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment