New Job = New Budget...well kinda

Monday, July 9, 2012
       I started my new job today! Now with a day under my belt hopefully the nightmares will subside! I kept dreaming that I came in for work and no one remembered hiring me or had any clue who I was. Talk about stress levels going up, phew.
       Today I learned about our ticket system and sold some tickets. We spent a lot of the day working on brochures, tomorrow I'll be filling out all of my paperwork and going to a production meeting. So far so good!
      One awesome perk of this job is a pay increase. When we heard that we started thinking of all these things we needed wish we had. Funny how that happens huh?  Oh you mean I'm bring in $X more dollars/month....wow we really could use some new furniture, smart phones, an ipad, etc. Thankfully we snapped out of that mindset pretty quick.
      We're going to try to trick ourselves into not seeing any of my pay increase. I still have my checking account from before we were married. We're thinking about splitting my direct deposit and only putting what I'm used to earning in our joint/regular account and anything above that will go into my old account. We'll look at that balance and use it to pay extra on our lowest loan payment.
       I'm not sure about you guys but I know that if I look at our account and we have more than I anticipated  I start finding ways to spend it. My theory is that if it's out of sight in another account we won't be tempted to spend it because it's already set aside to go toward our loans. Has anyone tried something like this before? We're hoping it works as well in practice as in theory!
   

1 comments:

  1. That is actually VERY much like what we do. I too have an old checking account from before I was married and I always send some direct deposit money there A) so my mom and transfer it for my cell bill and B) to put into savings. It works nicely! And exactly out of sight out of mind.

Post a Comment